Project Domain / Category
Web Based Application
Virtual Doctor or Telemedicine is defined as, the delivery of e-health services, where distance is a critical factor, by all e-health professionals using telecommunication technologies for the exchange of medical information for diagnosis, treatment, prevention of diseases and injuries all in the interests of advancing the health of individuals and their communities. In simple words, telemedicine is the use of medical information exchanged from one site to another via electronic communications to improve a patient’s clinical health status. Telemedicine includes a growing variety of applications and services using two-way video, email, smart phones, wireless tools and other forms of telecommunication’s technology.
Many developing countries have inadequate health care and medical services and suffer from a shortage of doctors and other health care professionals. Unfortunately, Pakistan is one of them. The unsatisfactory patient to doctor ratio and inadequate distribution of doctors/specialists makes it more difficult to provide health care in remote and rural areas.
The proposed project will help solve the problem by virtually connecting patients to doctors, providing clinical support to clinical-staff by experts/specialists, overcoming geographical barriers and thus improving the health service standards in remote areas. The one of the major strengths of virtual doctor is improved assess i.e., a doctor can connect to more number of patients and a patient can connect to specialists which in most rural areas of Pakistan is not possible otherwise and all that within limited cost.
Virtual Doctor will be a web-based application providing following tasks:
1) Appointment Request: A patient will have to register an appointment request. A local staff member will help patient in requesting such appointment which based on the patient will enter patient’s personal information and will assign him to a virtual doctor at central location.
2) Virtual Waiting Room: Virtual Waiting Room will simulate the real-world hospital waiting room where patients wait for their turn to meet the doctor. Virtual waiting room will help doctors to find all of the patients waiting for them and call their next patient.
3) Virtual Diagnosis: Once the patient is called by the doctor (through proper messaging system on the remote computer), patient will go live with the doctor who based on patient history may suggest certain
tests or prescribe a treatment plan. In case of any test suggested by doctor, once the test is conducted, patient data will be entered and doctor will suggest treatment plan. Note: later version of application will also include video conferencing of patient with doctor.
4) Patient Data Entry: Proper interface will be provided to enter patient data and medical history. e.g. blood pressure, sugar level, temperature etc. each patient will be given a unique registration key which will remain same and will help track patient history. Similarly, Interface will be provided for all suggested tests.
5) Emergency: In case of emergency treatment required, the doctor can skip any number of patients and immediately treat the patient who needs urgent treatment.
6) Home care: Later versions will also provide interface to connect a patient from home. Such patients will be billed for any type of treatment they get.
Microsoft.Net, SQL Server